We at the Community Law Partnership are looking for a Trainee Costs Draftsman/Costs Lawyer to join our Costs Team. This is a full time permanent position, hours of work 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday with 1 hour for lunch.
Salary: According to experience – £18,018 – £23,000 (Trainee Costs Draftsman/Costs Clerk)
£24,930 – £26,013 (Costs Lawyer)
WE WILL NOT ACCEPT C.V.’s Shortlisting for interviews will only take place for applicants submitting an application form. All other applications via letter/email or C.V. will be rejected without being reviewed.
If you wish to apply, please send your application to . The closing date for this position is Monday 7th February 2022.
Assisting the Costs Lawyer and another Costs Clerk to attend to various costing procedures arising from the work of the firm and its internal operation.
- Processing files for billing including sending files to external costs draftsman where appropriate.
- Sending bills to paying party and following through assessment procedure to payment.
- Negotiating costs with paying party.
- Preparation of Legal Aid bills.
- Preparation of Inter-Partes bills (preferred, not essential)
- Lodging bills at Court and the Legal Aid Agency for assessment.
- Monitoring performance of external costs draftsman in relation to turnaround times and work produced.
- Maintaining up to date excel spreadsheet of billing information.
- Ensuring prompt payment of finalised bills where payment is due from opponent.
- Undertake other clerical and administrative duties as may reasonably be required from time to time
(The skills and knowledge and experience required to fulfil the role satisfactorily)
- Computer Literate
- High Level of numeracy and accuracy when dealing with figures. Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook
- Willing to learn new skills
- Quick learner
- Good Administrative background with experience of being able to manage and prioritise own workloads.
Knowledge and experience of:
- Legal Aid Agency rules for billing and costing of publicly funded file
- Court rules for lodging bills.
- Drafting Inter partes and/or legal aid bills
- An understanding of the rules governing inter parte bills preparation.
- Legal Aid billing procedures
- Court costs assessment procedures
- Working in a publicly funded organisation.